The River Ruwer flows into the Moselle in the district of Ruwer in the City of Trier. An apartment block with basement garage is currently being built next to the neo-Romanesque Church of St. Clement dating from 1871.
The building plot is being used to the full, which leaves little extra space for working. Large plant could not be employed to install shoring to the sides of the excavation, and the neighbouring buildings (some historic) could not be subjected to any vibrations. Therefore, conventional shoring methods, e.g. sheet pile or soldier pile walls, were out of the question.